Maximum Ride Unofficial Community

Protect the flock! From JP and Hachette!

Pretty self-explanatory, eh? Oodles of smart people who are all smart in different areas means one thing; a kick ass homework help forum. So, have at it.

Views: 21

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A worldview is just the way a person views the world; how they interpret the world. :B It's basically an attribute of a culture, as well; you can tell something about where a person grew up by how they view the world around them. (You can even see this in things like "why did you have a heart attack?" -- some people will answer "because my family has bad heart health", but many people will say something more like "my son died in a traffic accident" or "my company was going bankrupt and I found out I was being fired".)

Let's try MR, since that's a common reference point for both of us, and we'll specifically use TAE.

Max has a hostile view of the world -- everyone outside her family group is a potential enemy, all rooms must be escaped from. In addition, she views herself as somewhat helpless -- if she had a heart attack, she would chalk it up to the scientists fucking with her yet again, not to, say, family history or bad health habits -- and blames the School / Itex for many things.

Basically, it is impossible to avoid showing characters as having a worldview because we all have one -- yes, even robots or constructs such as the T-800 or Data.

If you need more help, I'm literally studying this subject right now in cultural anthropology, so I can share other stuff as needed.
I get someone's view of the world, but what I don't get is my literature curriculum... It, apparently, has to fit into one of these categories...? Theism, deism, romanticism... And a host of others. And most books don't talk about their religious beliefs (or lack thereof).
Isms are a whole different animal than religious beliefs...

Anyway. To score with romanticism, I highly recommend using Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. It is, hand to God, letter-perfect.

To begin with, the romantic point of view. Romanticism rejects the overly-scientific point of view, focusing more on emotions and the natural world. It embraces the spontaneous and the unfamiliar, with emphasis on using the imagination, and holds strongly to a feeling of inevitability. It elevates the achievements of particular individuals, using them as an example to help society make itself better. A romantic character archetype that endures to this day is the Byronic hero: a gifted, misunderstood loner who hews to his own inspiration rather than what society says he should do.

Now, in Frankenstein we see every single one of these characteristics.

- The novel in itself treats with a man who was attempting to use science and scientific methods to create life from death. However, while his science succeeds in its objective, he is dissatisfied with the product -- and the rest of the novel explores the emotions between Victor and the creature (let's call him Adam for convenience), often against a spectacular background of the Alps or the moors of Scotland.
-- So let's be specific about those emotions. Victor is horrified by Adam's physical appearance when he comes to life -- he intended Adam to be the picture of beauty, but he turns out jaundiced, veiny, and repellent. Victor suffers a nervous breakdown and flees. After Adam begins to murder Victor's friends and family, Victor becomes obsessed with murdering his creation.
-- Adam, by contrast, views Victor as his father-figure, and longs to be acknowledged by him as son. He also longs for feminine companionship. Eventually these needs conflate: Adam really only wants someone to acknowledge him as a man, and to be his friend. He is jealous of Victor's many healthy relationships, and engineers the destruction of everyone -- he even frames Victor as the murderer of his dearest friend, Henry Clerval, when Victor refuses to create a female companion for Adam.

- About spontaneity and its conflict with fate. Mary Shelley got the idea for her novel from a nightmare she had while essentially on holiday with her husband. Victor's imagination is his greatest curse -- he imagines from a young age creating life from non-life; when Adam spitefully tells him "I will be with you on your wedding night", he is tortured by thoughts of what Adam means. Imagination haunts this novel.
-- As to inevitability, Victor mentions point-blank at one point that he feels as though he is doomed to carry out the tasks given to him: once he came across the idea of creating life, he was fated to carry it through.

- The individual as example to society: Victor opens his story by warning his listener that he is a very, very bad example, but he also states that his example may be of positive guidance.

- The Byronic hero: Victor, Victor, Victor. He is gifted -- his professors at university state this outright. He is misunderstood, though mostly only through his own fault. He hews to his own inspiration from the moment it occurs to him. And of course, society forbids creating new life from death -- that, and when he first arrives at university, his professors set him straight about the methods he was intending to use.

...whoa, holy shit. Ahem. So that's basically an example of what you're doing. It will help you a lot if you pick a subject that you know backwards and forwards. So. Here's how I did that.

1. Wiki your "ism" and get an idea of what characterizes it.
2. Write down a list of characteristics, enough to fill out your paper.
3. Pick a subject that you know well that shows most of those characteristics.
4. Write out how the character from your subject shows those characteristics, in the same way I did.
5. Flesh this out with citations to the text.

I must admit, I've been wanting to write an essay on Frankenstein for a very long time. So ahem. I'm sorry about all that.
No problem. Thanks for the help.
Most severe case of writer's block in the entire history of the earth.

And it's all because I haven't read classic literature. At all. Fuck.
Ok, so not sure if this is something you can really teach, but it's worth a shot.

I've been having a super lot amount of trouble with closing paragraphs. In a simple, 500-600 word essay, I need help or guidance in how to write a closing paragraph.
1) Restate the thesis.
2-4) Work your way from sentence 1 to sentence 5.
5) Relate back to your hook.

That's pretty much it; a way of writing your introduction backwards.
Same. Introductory paragraphs are hard enough, now I have to summarize it all AGAIN?
That's right, but it should be easier this time, because you already have the points down.
But it's so repetitive!

EDIT: Ew. Lemme get rid of that atrocity...

But it's so repetitive. DX

Much better. *nods*
Hence the invention of the Thesaurus. Or, to mix things up, ask and answer rhetorical questions that do the same thing as making a statement.
OMG. Like, I've heard of Thesauruses, but I didn't realize quite how wonderful it was. ^-^

I feel like a word n00b.

And... I'm still stuck. But at least I got to my 500 word minimum. :D

RSS

© 2024   Created by Z.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service