Maximum Ride Unofficial Community

Protect the flock! From JP and Hachette!

I can't believe we don't have this thread, I went through all the threads looking for it.  Brought back such memories, too.  :D  Tell me if I, however, missed it.

So, pretty self explainatory.  What are you currently reading?  'Tis appreciated if you'd also say whether or not you'd recommend/not recommend the book, too, so everyone can expand their reading list.  :D 

I'm curretly reading:

- Symphony of Ages Seires -- Elizabeth Haydon.  They're great.  I'm adoring them.

- The Messenger -- Markus Zusak.  'Tis lovely.  Very down-to-Earth, great writing style, fast moving without too much action. 

- The Gates -- John Connolly.  Only a few pages into it.  'Tis beyond amazing, though.  I love this author.

Views: 78

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Out of the Black by Lee Doty.

God's Debris by Scott Adams.

From Hell with Love by Simon R. Green.

Vamped by David Sosnowski

Dancing on the Head of a Pin by Thomas Sniegoski.

Will review all of these in a bit. For now, I can't be damned.

Simon R. Green.

^This guy. I think you told me to read the Nightside books, once upon a time. Do they get better after the first one?

If you didn't like the first one, I'd suggest getting the rest at the library rather than buying them...but yes. Very much so. The first one, to be frank, makes me--and, indeed, most of his fanbase--cringe. However, if you don't like the setting, don't bother. If your only concern was the plot, writing, and characters, I'd give the others a read. The main plot doen't start rolling for a while, but the books leading up to it are pretty fun if you ignore the first (Maybe the second. I don't remember.)

Nah, the Nightside itself didn't bother me. I shall read the next one(s), and reserve my judgment until then.

I'd suggest looking at The Man with the Golden Torc of the Secret Histories series first to see what his writing is like, his sense of humour, et cetera. It's set in the same world, but focuses on a different main character, and the two series' don't really cross with eachother until much later. Be warned, the third book in SH has massive spoilers regarding the Nightside series.

Looking for my Dark Tower books, because I gotta craving to reread 'em.

For class, The Faerie Queene by Edmund Spenser.

Shakespeare at least had a simple rhyme scheme and got his ideas across well enough. Spenser's author note essentially says, "I diliberately wrote this whole thing to confuse you."

On the one hand, I'm happy that he 'fessed up to it.

On the other hand, WTF?

I hear that's one really, really, really, evil poem/book thing, partially because the author decided EVERYTHING SHOULD BE A RIDDLE and partially because it's not even finished. 

So how is it?

-Was tempted to read it and then realized it was long and in that awful poem-form-thing style-

Epic poems are great, shut up ;_; Also it's basically "hey Elizabeth you're rad gimme money k".

Unless you fucking love archaic English or can find a prose translation you like, yer fucked. It looks ace though.

XD More or less.

I've gotten used to odd pieces this semester. They had us read Chaucer in the original Middle English--so you finish translating, only to just begin your literary analysis.

I like Iliad and Odyssey, no clue if those count as poems. I just really hate reading poetry. Especially the older kinds. 

XD Yeah... I'm fucked. 

Well, on a surface level, it's a tad confusing, but it's interesting just the same. And then there's the allegory, which is also confusing, but clever once you get it.

So yeah, it's a tough one, but pretty good.

But I like some of the plot elements. Some things, like chasing the male protagonist off by having an evil duplicate of the female protagonist make unwanted sexual advances, and this within the first two chapters, is something you just don't see much of anymore.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Z.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service