Maximum Ride Unofficial Community

Protect the flock! From JP and Hachette!

Besides posting on here and replying to this thread. Original credit for this goes back to Fate and Nathan on MX.

Views: 29322

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I STILL HAVE THE SCREENSHOT.
GO TO HELL PLEASE?
>:D
People suck, but we also invented chocolate.

I can't fault chocolate...

Let me paraphrase a line from one of my favorite books: for every rapist on the road, there's a green-haired punk with a switchblade and a subway map.

...If I can sell my trilogy, most of the money will probably pay for my education / help me stay alive while I work to get a Real Job. Said Real Job will probably be doctoring in areas that lack medical care. Any income from my books after that, probably gonna go to charity.
Sounds like Michael Crichton or Robin Cook played backwards.
Yeah, well... med school = so much fucking money, books that sell = money, I have a plan for books, might as well combine all three.

And you never know; I might wind up doing a Crichton and quitting medicine to just write. Highly doubt that, though.
XP

Most authors who discuss their monetary situation point out that the money they make is from being paid to give speeches and do programs, not from book sales. Besides, initial book deals tend to be low return for the author (and have low sell rates, it's unlikely that you'll be asked for a sequel to your first book) and the successful author is one who is making just enough money to get by--I doubt it will pay your way through med school.

I write because I want my name preserved somewhere other than my tombstone and the state records.
Well, it's gotta be better than going down to Whore Street to sell my body. And a good deal more fun.
They say Whore Street is more profitable.

And Saligner's H. Caufiled would say that the two are identical.
That's sort of the idea though, we don't suck as individuals, nobody's essentially evil, novelists just like to exploit the hole in the ozone, the Holocaust, 9-11, all terrible events in and of themselves, but for the most part not carried out by terrible people, just... people.

I try to write novels, and I always like the characters and the plot, but I never have the passion to finish. The only thing my next attempt is going to symbolize is going to be the fact that humans are awesome. If people really like to stand out from the norm, something that glorifies being conceded should catch 'em. I just think that if I can somehow get people to stop sitting in a pool of self-pity because of what a terrible species they are, I'll do way more then any novelist complaining about pollution.

And that line is awesome. If you don't mind, what book?
I have a trilogy about, uh... revolution... and somewhat about the family we create for ourselves, rather than the one we're born into.

Doomsday Book by Connie Willis.
Sounds epic. I toyed with revolution, and I love books with that as a theme, but I always feel that I'm too uneducated to judge how one would really happen.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Z.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service