Maximum Ride Unofficial Community

Protect the flock! From JP and Hachette!

Besides posting on here and replying to this thread. Original credit for this goes back to Fate and Nathan on MX.

Views: 29322

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

1. This happens in my favorite series.

2. This happens in a book by my favorite author.

3. This happens in my favorite book.

^This amuses me.

He's seen the writing of aspiring writers the fiction course. I know my teacher for Creative Writing last semester said at least 3/4 of the short stories submitted are centred around a death, it's an easy way for a writer who's trying to be /good/ and write seriously to add tension, and get their conclusion in a short space of time, and mentioned it's nice to sometimes get a less melodramatic one. 

She didn't mention the others, apart from a general irritation of having a writer undo all their hard work by writing it off as a dream. 

1. Technically, this happens to all my protagonists. Eventually. I don't like immortal characters, and prefer them to die at some point in their miserable, pathetic lives.

1B. Yes, I know that's not what he was talking about. But still. One of my characters is looking forward to his death (He gets it...sort of...) and the other is trying to kill himself and succeeds, although to be fair he's trying to kill all his friends in an attempt to stop himself from existing, and so he has to stop himself if he wants to save his friends.

1B-Beta. ...It makes sense in context, allright?

2. What, no Inception? Awwwwwww...anyways, what if the dream that he's dreaming while he's dreaming is actually not a dream but the real world?

3. Characters make bad decisions all the time. I suppose it takes the weight off of it if they're not in control of their actions...but Terry Pratchett's Wintersmith solely has a plot because the main character was, "Intoxicated," albeit not through drugs...

The reason you don't find this in fanfic writers on MDW is because they aren't at the level yet to write about such things. In other words, they're still too amateurish to write so amateurish.

1: o.O But my protagonist dies in the story I'm writing... 

If she didn't, she'd be in a brain-dead, vegetative state with no memory of her past for the rest of her life. 

Instead she'll die and get to stay in Limbo for eternity, taking care of everyone who passes through. :D

2: In a sense, half of my story takes place in a dream the protagonist has while she's in a coma.

3: ...I may just have to do that to the guy after he wakes up from his coma now... >.>

Boba Fetch. :D

Today, my Honors Western Civ teacher called into question the beliefs of nearly everybody in the class by asking them to prove the existence of God as if they were talking to Socrates.

Later, my AP Gov teacher told us that we can essentially turn the class into whatever we want if we're willing to do the AP test prep at home. He thinks regular classes kill creativity.

It's going to be a good year.
Funny, one of my professors tried something similar. He asked me to stop after successfully rebuking him a dozen times.
To the first? Do explain. 

He tried to argue that the benefit of Socrates' Method is that you keep asking "Why" until you get a final answer, and therefore It's hard to battle against. So he tried against the class. Most of them fell slient after three or so, I kept going, and going, and going, until he asked me to stop, because in continuing I was disproving my point.

I would have liked to have talked with Socrates, he sounds like fun guy to talk to.

Ah, yes. That was more or less my teacher's point. But he emphasized that nothing of human construct can ever be the absolute truth... It was an interesting lecture.

I quite agree.

I argued to Meep that that isn't true either. Truth can be gained only in numerical, unbaised, strict logic.

For instance:

1=1

Prove that 1=1.

My teacher went down this road to prove your point wrong.

Edit: Oh, but I should add that Socrates saw a difference between "truths" and the "Absolute Truth". In the words of my teacher, that is. And that Absolute Truth cannot be gained through human constructs such as mathematics.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Z.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service