Maximum Ride Unofficial Community

Protect the flock! From JP and Hachette!

Besides posting on here and replying to this thread. Original credit for this goes back to Fate and Nathan on MX.

Views: 29320

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's weird, this sense of accomplishment I have. I might actually finish with this project tonight. It's rather wonderful.

In other news, I found a way to access my schedule for next semester. Theoretically, I planned it in May, but one of my teachers dropped one of his classes so it kind of screwed me over. I have to take Colorado history, of all classes. Ick. So much ick. And I was supposed to be taking philosophy.

Roomate claims that HP's Dolores Umbridge was implicitly claimed to be raped by the centaurs in book 5. I didn't pick up on this during my reading. Since I know that at least three of you are die-hard Potter fans, can someone here independently verify?

Well, she was dragged off forcefully into the forest, and centaurs are apparently notorious for raping women, according to mythology.

Side note: when I Googled this, the second entry that came up was a story on fanfiction.net about it. o.o

There's nothing in the books to suggest definitively that this scenario did happen.

What is known is that she was dragged off, and later was admitted to St. Mungos, and was traumatised to the point where the sound of hooves clip-clopping got a bad reaction.

So, you could spin it that way, yes.

Just a little curious (and something I picked up from Nano), but do you all write numbers with commas (when expressing a large number)?

Like 123, 456, 789?

When typing, generally but without the spaces.

When in the middle of solving a math problem on paper, no.

When writing the solution to a math problem on paper, generally.

That's so... weird. 

I've been taught since like third grade that the commas are unacceptable so we use spaces like so:

123 456 789.

Because when you do this:

120,130,140 you can't tell if it's a list of numbers or if it's an actual big number. Thought it was an American thing but it seems that Omega does it too. So maybe Canada is just the oddity here?

I mean, big numbers generally don't look so neat and orderly and sequential as that one, but yeah. I use commas.

We got told that if numbers are in something written, then comma. If it's maths, don't comma. If you're listing several number, then things get complicated. Usually multiple lines or semi-colons are used if you've got a nice teacher. There's also a small but significant visual difference between say 123,456,789 which is one number and the list 123, 456, 789.

I think it's because it makes the number easier to read, if there's commas. You can immediately look at the number and tell how long it is because it's bunched into threes.

In text, like in an essay, you write large numbers with a comma, unless it exists as part of an address or year.

So:

"The casualty count was 1,355 dead, 10,655 wounded."

and

"I lived at 1809 Anderson Avenue from 1997 through 2001"

However, in math, you should not use commas; math symbols and grammar symbols are often the same shape, but with different meanings.

So, as a result, we type, "I wrote 5,000 words today!"

I wish I wrote 5,000 words today.

I wish I wrote any words today.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Z.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service