Maximum Ride Unofficial Community

Protect the flock! From JP and Hachette!

Besides posting on here and replying to this thread. Original credit for this goes back to Fate and Nathan on MX.

Views: 29317

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's a total hipster instrument.

I'd take one. If only so I could hang it on my wall, because there's no way in hell I could learn to play one.

That is frickin' awesome. The next steampunk D&D character I create will have to carry that thing around with them everywhere. I might even add a weapon onto it. :D I need to draw that now... XD

Punxatawny Phil Says 6 more weeks of winter...considering that this has been a winter of 54 degree weather up here in PA, we don't mind that much. I guess neither does Phil.

Except you Omega. I guess this means you get six more weeks of summer. Lucky you.

What summer? You've had a nice temperate winter.... and we've had what pretty much amounts to a nice temperate winter.

Hardwicke quit the MR film.

Wow. The person who developed Twilight choreography dumped Maximum Ride. The script really must be painful.

Duh.

No, I mean, this would have to suggest that MR is substantially worse than Twilight. Now, MR's plot may be all over the place and cheddar cheesey, but it's present, which is far better than Twilight, where it is absent.

...wait, hang on, isn't this the argument that we first met over back in 2009?

No, I think that one was over Literature. 

I was saying more "Of course the script would be painful".

...perhaps less on the painful front, and more on the not going anywhere, and hasn't since first announced front?

Holy Cow.
I actually found myself combining MDW with youth binary psychology in class today to present myself as a source on YA literature.

Further, I now understand the psychology of squees, and the psychology of antis, and why both occur. It all makes sense now.
You see:
The way that a child's developmental process goes is that up to a certain age, usually 13 or slightly later, everything is determined by presenting things in terms of a binary. Something is obviously "good" or obviously "bad". Ex: Good people (eg. Max & Fang, Harry and Hermoine) will wind up together in the end, because a character embodies one end of a binary, rather than both ends simultaneously.

However, in either early or mid high-school there's a paradigm shift, and suddenly a human is able to understand the concept of 'gray area' or the idea that there is more than just this single-character-per-side, and that each character contains both halves of the binary. At this point there is also still a empathy problem (which continues into adulthood) that everyone ought to be like oneself; so people of these older ages will, in fact, naturally attack the concepts of the younger age group, despite the fact that the younger age group has not developed the psychological facilities to relate, and the younger age group will fight back due to the fact that they don't have the mental faculties to understand much beyond the binary setup.

/end_dissertation

This is interesting, but many, many of the people I debated Twilight with were older than me and out of school. So would you call that an exception, or what?

Also, Harry and Hermione don't end up together, unless you're speaking as friends.

That's true, they don't wind up together, but did most people assume that at the beginning of the series? That ship existed for a reason...it wasn't until book 3 or 4 when Ron said something along the lines of "By the way, Ginny's in awe with you for saving her life" that I feel it clicked for most people that the direction had been misinterpreted.

I wouldn't call it an exception at all. Arrested development, perhaps (everyone has their area. There's also a big discussion going on in my Children's lit class about protagonists that do/don't have agency, and how many of the modern ones, surprisingly, do not) but not an exception.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Z.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service