Maximum Ride Unofficial Community

Protect the flock! From JP and Hachette!

Besides posting on here and replying to this thread. Original credit for this goes back to Fate and Nathan on MX.

Views: 29322

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Congrats!

What all are you taking?

CSE 180: Computer Literacy

ENG 200 Critical Reading & Writing/Lit

ENG 287 Beginning Workshop Poetry

HST 104 Western Civilization

LIA 194 Topic: Intro to Liberal Arts and Sciences

MAT 170 Precalculus

I wanted to take Latin instead of the computer science, because I need a language and have always been fascinated by it, but I just couldn't make it work. Precalc is my elective... I like math...

My goodness, a lot of classes.

Some of it looks like fun....I think you're mad to choose pre-calc as an elective, but whatever floats your boat.....XD

It's only 16 credits... And it really doesn't feel like that many classes (yet).

I need precalc for when I declare my second major. And I just really like math. Plus, I took it my junior year of high school. But I didn't learn a thing, so I'd like to actually have a foundation for Calc.

XD  I'm going for the full 18, and it's only four classes.  

Ahh.  That's smart then.  

I need to do both the calc and stats track all the way up.  >.> So.  I wish I could have it as an elective and it didn't matter that much.  And I wish that I loved math.  But alas.

I think she's brilliant for choosing pre-calc as an elective. I took Honors Calc1 and Honors Calc2 as electives and have been ahead of the game on my minor and my colleagues ever since. The more math you know, the more power to you.

As for the rest, it looks like a typical freshman list, which is to say sort-of-like-13th-grade. 16 credits is about the average number.

Passed all my PPL exams!

...and I passed air law with 97%. Which is just insane! Nobody gets a 97 for air law!

Awesome! Congrats!

So yesterday I flew twice. The first flight wasn't too much of a big deal - about 50 mins and with an instructor.

The second flight kinda was a big deal. It was my first solo flight out to the training area.

It only takes about 10 minutes to get out to Cheltenham, and it's not actually all that far away, and you don't have to change radio frequency at all (out of sight but not out of hearing!), but it's still a pretty huge thing.

The airfield I fly at is Feilding (more properly called Taonui, but nobody does). It's got two runways, one is sealed, and one's grass. Runways are numbered/named using the first two digit of their magnetic direction. Yesterday we were using 10 - one-zero (098degM). If you land heading the opposite direction on the same runway it's 28 (278degM).

In that pic you can actually see a couple of the school's aircraft... I love google maps.

Anyway, I'm up to Forced Landing without Power (FLWOP) practices. This is something you spend quite a bit of time practicing... basically, it's 'The engine has stopped, how do I get back onto the ground without killing myself and my passengers'... so it's rather important. Apparently, I'll be doing at least one of these for every flight for the rest of my training.

The usual way they teach this is you do two flights with an instructor. The first flight is to teach how to pick a good place to land, and fly the plane down to the ground in the safest way possible. The second flight is to add on things like checking for problems, (you might be able to restart the engine in a real situation), getting out a mayday call, and getting the aircraft ready to land (things like turning the electricity and fuel off, so they don't meet up and cause fires).

Once you get to about 200-300ft you 'go around' - add power and climb away.

Strictly speaking, you're not allowed to fly around below 500ft above the ground. In low flying areas (of which there is one in the training area) you're allowed to 200ft. Company rule says no below 500ft solo. Actually, for the purposes of the exercise (with instructors), you ARE allowed all the way to the ground (and can land), but it's not done often. Except by the people giving flight tests, apparently!

Then, once you're competent to 'make the paddock', they let you head out to the training area by yourself to go practice. The idea is that you're now competent enough to not kill yourself should the plane break, therefore off you trot.

The training area is pretty cool. The area I live in (the Manawatu) has an Air Force base and a fair large airport (by NZ standards), as well as a whole lot of other flight training stuff going on. So the airspace, of course, is rather complicated!

Right above the airfield, you're allowed up to 1500ft without permission. Then the air belongs to Ohakea (air force base) control. You need permission to be there. Once you get out to Cheltenham, then you're allowed up to 3,500ft without getting permission. So, training area.

The area runs from Cheltenham in the south to Kimbolton in the North. The eastern boundary is roughly the river, and the western boundary is a line of hills. It's roughly divided up into 4 pieces so that you can have more than one aircraft in the area at a time. Running straight up the middle is Kimbolton Rd, dividing the area into eastern and western halves. Between Cheltenham and Kimbolton is Kiwitea, which is used to divvy up north and south.

Anyway, I was flying on the eastern side of the road between Cheltenham and Kiwitea:

Which is also the area with the low flying zone. Although no instructor means no low flying. Although I got a bit lower than I was supposed to on one of my FLWOPs (1200ft indicated was the height, I was about 1100. Whoops).

Anyway, I did 4 FLWOPS, and made the paddock on 3. 1 was WAAAY to high, and I would have probably gone through a fence had it been for reals.

Heading back was pretty easy - head for Feilding. Once you get to the northern tip, then you're pretty much set up to land.

1.1 hours solo, 0.8 hours dual. So that was my day yesterday.

Finally got my hands on a copy of The Fault in our Stars by John Green. Our library doesn't even own a copy, for whatever reason. I friend loaned me their SIGNED copy. Too bad I can't keep it.

Boyfriend and I decided to break things off before we head off to college. It's the smart thing to do. We're going to stay together the rest of summer and end things before we move. Only two of my friends know; they were with me when it came up. Even though I know we're doing the right thing, I feel like shit. =/

:( I am shit with telling people what to do when relationships are crap so here's a funny Pokémon meme. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Z.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service