Maximum Ride Unofficial Community

Protect the flock! From JP and Hachette!

Besides posting on here and replying to this thread. Original credit for this goes back to Fate and Nathan on MX.

Views: 29316

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ugh, ours control isn't much better. I figure we just have less people, therefore less people who start shootings, and therefore, less shootings. :\ Really sucks that you have to go through that though. >.> God forbid we go back into that stupid long gun registry argument. 

Woah dude, one of the girls had been at the Eaton Center shooting in Toronto back in June was at the shooting today and died. :( That's really fucked up. 

Oh, Jessica Redfield?

It pisses me off. I saw her Twitter feed, and it was so... depressing, to see her posts a little over 20 minutes before.

*offers tea and hugs* 

I'm glad you're okay, and everyone you know is. And that your friend's friends are only wounded.

God, this whole thing is so ridiculously awful and unsettling. Not least because they have no clue what drove this guy to do it, so at this point it's basically just some guy deciding he wanted to kill and maim a fuckload of people, and where better than a cinema where everyone's just sitting there and watching a gunfight in the dark and slow to react. 

Also it's been a long day, filled with customers who want to talk about how awful it was, and wondering if they'll still be able to enjoy Batman. It was a good movie yesterday, but every five minutes someone wants to talk to me about a bunch of people being slaughtered so I'm struggling to picture enjoying anything right now. And meetings about safety which came up with absolutely nothing because seriously what do you do if someone comes in with a gun with the sole intent of killing everyone? and head office freaking out. And because apparently Aurora is part of the same network kind of as my cinema, some media people where coming round to other sites asking for interviews and commentary from staff, so we had to be prepped about how to deal with that. And then we had all the people just pouring into the cinema, busiest we've been in God knows how long (we get lots of art house, and not all of the blockbusters, so we didn't even get the avengers), and it's just like, what if one of you has a gun stashed somewhere, what if someone's holed up in one of our fire escape passages, what if someone wants to be the next James Hoult? 

Sorry this an awful, all-about-me post, but I'm tired, and I love my cinema and now I keep seeing mad gunmen standing at the front of it. And people died. In a movie. That's just really not supposed to happen. Reality and all the bad things are meant to be suspended when you go in there. Someone's not meant to take advantage of that vulnerability. 

*offers tea*

:( 

-Offers tea-

I'm shaking right now.

I remember how, back in 09, we sat there appaled at the seeming ease with which the mods enacted sweeping legislation that resulted in everyone being banned.

An hour ago, as acting admin on a server, I was suggested to enact similar legislation. This is the culmination of a month of drama, shouting, threats, blackmail, and general miscommunication between the people on this server.

In the end, we wound up banning one person for six months, about the same ammount of time as Nathan was.

I...I feel like shit. In general this whole thing has been messing with my ability to concentrate on other elements of life, and now I've become the thing that I spent the past three and a half years despising.

Screw this. Tomorrow night, I'm resigning from the admin position. I may wind up flat-out leaving the server. I need a hug and eight hours of sleep and for someone more intelligent than I to come along and explain what the hell a person is supposed to do in this case.

Well, I don't think I can explain, and I'm not anywhere near as intelligent as you. But hugs, I can do. Virtually, I suppose, but still.

If the person was blackmailing and threatening other users, they were most likely against the ToS. You had every right to ban them temporarily. You have a different perspective on banning than the other mods. You've spoken to people who've been banned. Is that what's making it hard for you? Honestly, we need more sympathetic mods like you. We need admins who don't get bannhammer-happy, because they've seen the other side of it. I trust your judgement. I think it's better to have an admin who feels bad about bannings, versus an apathetic mod, or someone who takes pleasure in it. It's not your fault, End. You are not the people from the Great Banning of '09. Not even close. You are a good person, and everyone here loves, respects, and adores you.

And if that doesn't help, *tea and hugs*.
I think the difference between the '09 bannings and what you're doing right now is the severity of what happened.

Take for instance, the grounds in which Lamp and Fishy were banned. I recall us making a big deal about it on here because, as far as I can remember, the mods were never clear on WHY they were banned. They just were, perma'd for really, no good reason. Then I posted a big long speech and was subsequently banned for something about being disruptive. I had never even been warned before and then I was banned permanently. And for the shittiest reason too (still have the email if you'd like to compare yourself, I was told I should have known better and that I was crossing a line that ought not be crossed.)

Honestly, the tone of the email I received didnt seem like they were apologetic to what they did to me (not in the same way you seem to really hate banning) but rather, seriously annoyed and unsympathetic to what happened. Which okay, I get, apparently we were annoying the crap out of you for a month, but it didn't seem very professional to me. These people were being paid to be mods. They were not volunteers like you are.

In addition, I don't think (least not anyone here) did something as severe as blackmail or threatening. I mean we sometimes were condescending assholes but at this point, I don't even remember why half of us were banned.

It's NOT nearly to the same degree of the ban hammer in '09, I mean Jesus, how many of us are STILL banned from those awful six months? You banned one person, for six months because they seem to be seriously out of line. Plus, you clearly feel like an asshole for doing this (which you are not) but if you feel really bad have you considered emailing them or telling them about how you regret doing so but hope that they can return in six months time without too much trouble and what not? I think telling them at least, that you didn't want to do that would make them realize the seriousness of what they have done and that you aren't a heartless bastard.

Well, it helps when two people are also threatened with legal action for that lack of reason.  XD

@End, at least you feel something.

I mean, if the rest are volunteers and still pulling that crap....that doesn't terribly sound like a terribly user friendly arena.  Not that it's ever a good position to be in, but you could always remain mod and argue for when/if this happens again.  And bother to care about that other group/give them a story.  I mean, this is just one account, and we all know how easy it is to get around one account being banned.  But sticking around to be sure that this is the end of it might be worthwhile.

Wasn't that threat of legal action because you and Fishy joked about finding where Genn lived or something along those lines? But it was on this site and then we were all scared we had a snitch or some con account that was actually a mod.

And in hindsight, this is all mildly amusing.

I don't recall, but I'm pretty sure Genn had something visibly posted on her FB, which she was friending mutual MX friends with.....so anyone and everyone could see.  Maybe same with Katy?  Either way, it doesn't take a genius to find something posted openly on the web....

XDD  The snitch!  And remember The Safe Place? My gosh.

I wouldn't go as far as to say amusing.  The times we all had arguing and trolling were amusing.  Everyone off in corners to find the snitch and the billions of different Chatzys being used for different groups +/- one person, were amusing - I really miss everyone interacting off one another.  We should have a reunion chat or something - but I wouldn't say the threatening was too terribly amusing.....I was so freaked out.  x.x  And I so clearly remember being so.  Scarred with that memory. xD

RSS

© 2024   Created by Z.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service