Maximum Ride Unofficial Community

Protect the flock! From JP and Hachette!

Besides posting on here and replying to this thread. Original credit for this goes back to Fate and Nathan on MX.

Views: 29316

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I... disagree. The Beijing one was really impressive. And yes, they had fireworks, but the whole thing was kind of spectacular.

London's was lovely, but yeah, the whole storytelling thing didn't work for me. Mostly because I had no idea what sort of story they were trying to tell. It was lovely and quaint, and hey geese, but it was kind of a mess of all these things. And there was so much focus on the last little bit of history, which is understandable since most of the in between bit was colonising and destroying all the other countries, but it made the whole history angle seem kind of... odd. 

I did love the fact they had a whole segment dedicated to their national healthcare system. In my commentary they quoted the guy who started it saying how a country can't be civilised without it. It felt like a special shout out to the US. 

I loved the cauldron lighting though. And yeah, Voldemort vs. Mary Poppins was incredibly cool. It was lovely, but still. 

Though you have to consider the entirely different contexts, China had money and resources, and had this chance to impress the world. London is already considered pretty great, it's completely broke, it needs a show to keep people happy. And so they don't end up being Austerity Games 2.0. But they probably didn't want to go over the top with the budget. 

The giant You-Know-Who was incredible. But I feel like the only thing anyone will remember in a few years is Mary Poppins fighting a 100 foot Voldemort puppet. People remember flashy and colorful. And when a country hosts the Olympics, they want it to be memorable. The lighted drums and the painting they made via dancing were flashy, colorful, beautiful, and memorable. I just don't think the London ceremonies came out of Beijing's shadow.
Considering Canada's incredibly shameful 2010 winter Olympics opening, I found the Lodon one to be creative and original. China's was very flashy and just not really my thing? I biased since I dislike China in general though.

Besides, London has the BEST soundtrack. C'mon, LET'S LOOK AT THE MUSICAL LINEUP.

Also, anyone want to explain to me the uniforms of America? Why is it made in China and why are you all wearing berets? That makes no sense. How is that American?

Also, ours are really ugly too. >.> 

Because our uniforms and business suits are roughly the same, and issued with a similar intent.

Consider the American military uniforms next to most others during the Russian VE-Day 2010 march.

Americans jump in around 1:11

That makes so much more sense... 

That was the US? I assumed it was France....

XD Nope. Berets were America. Designed by Ralph Lauren, so maybe that's why?

Back home from camp 2 weeks early with a double ear infection with probably both eardrums perforated, a script for hard core antibiotics and a lot of codeine.

Well, shit.

Ouch. Ear infections are the worst. I was a swimmer when I was younger and had 12 in one year, pretty much one a month. I hope you feel better soon.

I might have had them when I was a kid, but not any that I can remember, so the whole thing is just that much more bizarre for me. Even with the swimming I did (and I lived in the pool as a kid), nope.

At least with the perforations they don't hurt as much. Just leak. Everywhere. All the time.

The first two days I was in bed, curled up in pain, and that was with being so dosed up on ibuprofen and paracetamol I couldn't think straight. I'm still stoned from the last codeine I took, so life is good right now.

And doctors visit yesterday as i'm not getting better. HARDER DRUGS.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Z.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service