Maximum Ride Unofficial Community

Protect the flock! From JP and Hachette!

Besides posting on here and replying to this thread. Original credit for this goes back to Fate and Nathan on MX.

Views: 29316

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As late as this is, yes, we have a fear of the word toilet.

Fuck's sake, we invented the term "powder room" and "powder one's nose" instead of saying "bathroom" or "going to the bathroom". 

I don't know why, but most Americans are reeeally uncomfortable with the word.

Whereas the Brits thrive on toilet humour and us (still) colonial types have adopted it and made it our own.

Although in practical terms, the people I know always call it "the loo", or "the ladies'", as in, "I'm just nipping to the ladies'", depending on the people around. "Bathroom" is not commonly used here, but I've never heard "powder room" being used. Ever. Some of my brother's mates say "dunny" but that's more Aussie than Kiwi. Same goes for "the can".

Well, at least in the sense of 'going' there. Are people really uncomfortable calling the device itself a toilet?

Slightly unrelated, but it always amuses me when people say animals are going to the bathroom.

Um, no, they're peeing. They're not using a bathroom.

So I'm doing a project which involves poetry.

Basically the only criterion is that I have to be able to analyze the poem thoroughly.

I'm leaning toward a TS Eliot poem, because I love TS Eliot,

but do any of you have suggestions so that I might broaden my horizons?

I have to do a paper analyzing a poem. I'm doing it on Poe's "Annabel Lee". Not for any real reason except that I love Poe. My current laptop is actually named after that particular poem and my previous one was Lenore.

My roommate is doing her paper on Frost's "The Road Not Taken".

My back up plan was Dickinson's "Because I could not stop for death" in the event that my teacher wouldn't accept "Annabel Lee". (...I like sad/morbid this... >.>)

So yeah. That's my two cents.

Hm, I might look up some Poe or Dickinson.

Thanks.

We're studying this Canadian poet, Lorna Crozier. 

She has the weirdest fucking poems ever, you will have a ballpark with going through them. It's very abstract and clever but ridiculously weird. Like she has a poem book called "Sex with Vegetables" and it's a collection of poems about vegetables with sexual connotations. Creepy but clever. 

Or Pablo Neruda, he's a nice Chilean writer/poet and he had some cool works. A little weird, but these poets are different from classics like Dickinson and Frost. 

Yes, don't do TS Eliot.

The guy's an allusion maniac, and it will take you ages to find everything he's referencing.

Pick someone who sticks to images that you can interpret on their own...try Dickinson.

Fact: It shouldn't be below 65 degrees Fahrenheit inside my house when there is snow outside of it, particularly in the evening.

Fact: IT IS.

Go to the highest floor of your house and wrap yourself in a blanket.

If you don't hear from me after Monday, it's because I'm busy, I have a power outage, or I've died horribly in a hurricane. ;D

Do try not to. Death by Sandy has too many amusing connotations.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Z.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service