Maximum Ride Unofficial Community

Protect the flock! From JP and Hachette!

Besides posting on here and replying to this thread. Original credit for this goes back to Fate and Nathan on MX.

Views: 29327

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

*is watching that now*

*figures you're 3hrs ahead of me*
Drinking some instant coffee I bought for a buck a box this morning.

For that cheap, this shit ain't bad :D
On account of Ni asked, four random RC-verse drabbles.

I imagine these are entries in Elsa's diary when she's around eight or nine.
----
“Mother”

When I was little -- and I mean really little, because this is before I even remember -- according to Papa I used to ask if I had a mother somewhere. And every time I asked, he’d tell me no: I didn’t have a mother, but I had him, and I had Dad, and that was enough.

Eventually I started going to school, and some kids who were adopted tried to glom onto me because, y’know, two dads, she must be adopted too. I told them no -- Dad and Papa were my fathers, and I was not adopted.

See, the thing about being named Batchelder: you sit at the front of the room, and it doesn’t take a genius to figure out who your Dad is.

And either way everyone. Looks. At. You.
----
“Work”

Before I went to school, until I was about five, me and Dad and Papa all lived out in the middle of the desert at a place called the School. We had two rooms, one next to the other. I slept in one room (mine), and Dad and Papa slept in the other (theirs). We had things all worked out.

Dad used to be gone a lot back then, on business trips. So me and Papa stayed behind.

Some days Papa had to go work in the lab, and if I was good he’d let me come with me. I had my own kid-size lab coat, and I’d sit real quiet somewhere reading or drawing.

Sometimes I’d go see Uncle Kyle in his lab, which was full of computers and kind of dark. He didn’t wear a lab coat, but he’d let me play on the computers.

And then every summer I’d see my Uncle Reilly, who was my favorite because in his lab it was quiet and sometimes he’d let me play with the little white lab mice. In a lab coat just like his, I felt like a real scientist.
---
“Family”

I’ve always known my family is a little strange. It’s weird and split up.

See, I’m an only child with two half-siblings.

My big sister’s name is Max. We’ve never met, but it would be a little weird since she’s almost thirteen years older than me. Dad sometimes says I remind him of her when she was little.

I also had a big brother, but we don’t talk about him much. His name was Ari, and he was six years older than me. I think I met him a few times, but he died when I wasn’t even two, so I don’t know.

I don’t have any grandparents (well, I’ve never met them), but it never bothered me because I have my uncles and my fathers, and that’s just fine.

The funny thing about my uncles, though, is that they’re not related to me. But lots of people have uncles like that, and anyway they’re still part of the family.

And the funny thing about my dads is that they were both over forty when they had me -- but again, lots of kids have old parents.
---
“Memory”

All the exciting things in my life happened when I was too little to remember. Like Germany. Me and Papa lived there for a while.

But the very first thing I remember is sitting with Papa in an airport, waiting for our flight. We were bored and tired, and I remember it was really bright.

One of my favorite books when I was small was Stellaluna, the bat who made friends with birds. Papa was the one who read it to me until I learned to read. Dad never would.

I asked Papa one time why that was, and he talked to me about how I used to have an older brother, Dad’s son when he was married to his wife.

“His name was Ari,” he said, “and his favorite book was Stellaluna, too.”

Why did that make Dad not want to read it? I asked.

Because Stellaluna reminded him of Ari too much, Papa said. It made him sad.

Dad still had Ari’s copy somewhere.
:D Thanks <3
You are also fabulous, btw >.>
Agreed.
Awww... Memory especially was so cute and sad.

I love you, I love your writing. Please don't ever stop.
Now, imagine me hurriedly scribbling that on a scrap of paper while standing in the stacks of the children's library I volunteer at >.> It has always been my headcanon that Ari's favorite book was Stellaluna, because high holy damn does that book relate: small child loses single parent, befriends birds who like them even though they're different, and then is found by parent again.

OK so that might be the caffeine talking.

Thanks.
*imagines* Dammit, head, why would Nathan be wearing a lab coat to a children's library?

It sounds incredibly fitting. And it has such a pretty name too.

Welcome XD
XD Ahahaha! Nah, just teenage creeper hurriedly and frantically scribbling away, using a stack of books as a desk. If anyone had asked I'd have mumbled something about "writing a novel", which is true.

It's a terribly, terribly sweet book. Go read it. I still love it.
XD Nice. Books make wonderful substitutes for desks.

I'll have to do that. I wonder if we've got it at school...

RSS

© 2024   Created by Z.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service