Maximum Ride Unofficial Community

Protect the flock! From JP and Hachette!

Besides posting on here and replying to this thread. Original credit for this goes back to Fate and Nathan on MX.

Views: 29316

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just proved that a fuckton of people who lived (and died, well mostly, the old farts) about half an hour away are related.

Oh god, oh god? This guy had (probably) 15 children! Okay, some died young and didn't themselves breed. But really, finding cousins when you have to look for their kids, and their kids' kids to find living people to talk to.

And women! Women get married and change their freaking surnames. Then try finding them! Shit, man!

300 pages in five hours. My eyes hurt.
However, in sum, I thought the end of Paolini's Inheritance was mediocre. I give him credit for attempting to explain atomic fission and radiation in terms of magic, though throughout his characters didn't change much from beginning to end, and the writer needs to realize that brevity is far more powerful than any antagonist monologue. The plot was unsurprising, I guessed most of the major points before they happened, and most of the content was detailed combat mechanics, which my roomate has another name for, but which I'd rather not use here.
But the bit that annoyed me the most was the length of time he took on the Denouement; it would up being double the length as the one in Tolkein's Return of the King, with a fraction of the worthwhile content...and even RotK had some additional stuff in there to keep us busy.
Final score...3/5. Moderate book, neutral opinion. Not enough for me to recommend, but not enough for me to warn against.

I'm tempted to go on a reading spree just to out-pages you, but:

- I don't have enough books for that.

- It's Paolini's prose, my god his prose.

His prose was painful for the first 50 pages while I developed a brain-filter for it. It's almost biblical, and I don't mean that in a good way.

I enjoyed it, personally.

I don't see it as good writing, but it's certainly better than anything I'm capable of, or will be capable of at his age for that matter, and frankly it was a fun read. Sure, it had a few parts that were painful to get through, but for the most part I enjoyed reading it, and while I can't say I was hooked allthroughout, it ended up giving me the oppurtunity to waste two hours or so of a twelve hour car trip.

I'd recommend giving it a try if you've read the previous three, as it wraps things up rather pleasantly and it's extremely satisfying to get a few of the subtle jokes he put in there (Namely, the radiation stuff), but the series as a whole is not worth your money if you're looking for anything other than something to pass a few hours with.

My grammar is slipping.

Anyways, I read it, and liked it. Is it something I'm going to tell my friends about if it doesn't come up? No.

I strongly disagree about the wrapping-up part. While I felt that the plot was cleanly wrapped up, the character personalities were not. Not at all. Not in the slightest. Arya at the end was Arya at the beginning, and Eragon was making the same stupid mistakes throughout. Roran was a leader from book 2 and on, and the supporting characters all did the same thing. If anything, the only character who received a proper character personality wrap-up was Galbatorix, and the content of it was entirely off-screen.

In another scene that caught me pleasantly off guard, there was a moment in a scene where I could have sworn Galbatorix used Fus Roh Dah, but then I saw what was actually going on and the moment passed.

Also, a note, I'm critical about some aspect of every piece of writing put in front of me...you could put Shakespeare in front of me and I'd be picky and complaining. You could put my own work in front of me and I'd complain even worse.

While I agree with you (I mostly meant the plot, to be honest, which in a series like that is all I really care about--Paolini isn't that good, so I treat him like I'd treat someone of his skill level. I don't want to too harshly judge him, as I'm used to reading much better work, and it was entertaining, so whatever), I actually liked how Arya evolved, or rather didn't. The chick is a few hundred years old. She's not going to undergo a massive transformation, realistically speaking, unless something major happens. Sure, she agreed to become leader of Santa's toyshop, but for the most part she didn't change, and I approve of that.

Eragon...well, I thought he matured somewhat. He didn't get any brighter, but I liked him better at the end of book four than at the beginning, which admittedly isn't saying much, come to think about it. He might have matured a little too fast, in my opinion, although that could be because of him, shall we say, coming to terms with himself to open the rock.

And Galbatorix was awesome. His scenes were some of the best in the series, which again isn't saying much, but shut up.

And you're free to be critical of anything and everything. I don't actually care--I'm not offended when people don't like the things I like, mostly because I have a rather childish or at least simple sense of entertainment, and I'm glad when my own work is criticized, so you don't need to clarify that you're just being your usual self or whatever, if that's what you're doing. I'm not sure if you're trying to unhurt my feelings (Which weren't hurt in the first place...) or what, but I honestly don't care. If you hate something I love, I'm fine with it, so long as you don't judge me for my tastes.

*shrugs* I honestly had no idea what you meant by that last bit, so...yeah.

Done registering for classes: I'm in for Western Civilization from 1500, a class on commerce and empire in Asia from 1500-1800, second-semester Russian, and geology. 

Fun times.

I think it's kind of pathetic that my worst grade of the semester was on literally the easiest fucking class offered. I mean, it was my only A- . But still. It was current events.

Why have I never played the Elder Scrolls games before? Skyrim is amazing... Even though I had to go through the whole tunnel twice before figuring out how to work the sphere thing, and that was with help because I'm too lazy to actually think that hard after playing an hour of Lego Harry Potter y5-7. But, thanks to Cody, I finally got the stupid Elder Scroll. XD

Evanescence concert tonight! Happy Friday the 13th! :D

And then tomorrow I get to go to Savannah... It's a four-hour drive and they want me to be there at 10:30. The day after a concert. x.x

Elder Scrolls will eat your life. Leave while you still can.

Skyrim is kind of weird.

Me five minutes ago: Hey, Lydia, what's that brown thing over there? It kind of looks li--OH SWEET JESUS IT'S A CAVE BEAR! I DON'T WANT TO BE RAPED! RUN! RUUUUUUUN!

Me now: So, how many giants have we killed so far? I stopped counting somewhere way back in the late three digits.

Mind you, my main tactic for killing Giants invoves blocking, stabbing, praying that I can block fast enough, and repeating the process a few dozen times, as I'm level twenty five or so, but still.

Also, I apparently took on a Dragon priest and Dragon simultaneously the other day. Admittedly, it was only a Blood Dragon, but still, I felt proud, even if Lydia was distracting them most of the time.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Z.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service